13 Must-Read POS Stories from June
For the second month in a row, mobile payment technology has dominated point-of-sale (POS) headlines, whether taking about new application rollouts—Starbucks and Domino’s are just two operators that released new payment apps last month—or the PCI Council’s latest stance on mobile payment PCI certification guidelines. Meanwhile, a number of operators and vendors, such as Popeye’s and Envysion, are focused on POS security. These stories and more are related here in Hospitality Technology’s June point-of-sale recap.
- Are We Getting Closer to a Mobile Payment PCI Standard?: The murky mobile payment PCI certification waters got a whole lot clearer last month thanks to new guidelines from the PCI Security Standards Council. HT offers the full recap of the Council's newest position on mobile payments, plus insight on how to determine if your application is eligible for PA-DSS certification.
- Long-Term PCI Compliance: 6 Tips: While hospitality operators have made significant strides in PCI compliance over the last few years, long-term compliance still poses a major challenge for many. HT taps PCI experts and operators to identify how ongoing cardholder security can be achieved via education, vendor partnerships, monitoring best practices and more.
- Taco Bell Franchisee: POS Track Record Matters: When it came time for the 19-unit Taco Bell franchisee Lockwood/McKinnon Group to upgrade its aging point-of-sale system, management decided to go with a partner that demonstrated more than two decades of dependable service.
- 200th Buffalo Wild Wings Signs with Nationwide POS Provider, 24-7: Franchisees credit improved profit levels as a result of their ability to control daily activities and revenues, and eliminate duplication work.
- Hackers Break into Computer System at Ann Arbor-Based Pub: Hackers infiltrated Conor O'Neill's credit card processing system to make off with an unknown number of debit and credit card numbers.
- Chili's Franchisee Slashes Table Turn Times by Three Minutes: Following a successful 90-day test across 30 locations, the 122-unit Chili’s franchisee ERJ Dining will install the digital promotion and pay-at-table device responsible for the speedy table turns to its remaining restaurants this year.
- Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill Leverages Aloha to Reduce Costs: The two-hundred-unit restaurant chain has implemented Radiant's Aloha and hardware across many locations in 2011 to drive efficiency and increase customer convenience.
- Biometrics Reduce Employee Fraud for 148-Unit Popeye's Franchisee: Popeye's franchisee, Sailormen Inc., is leveraging U.are.U Fingerprint Readers from DigitalPersona to help slash register shrink and buddy punching.
- PizzaExpress App Eliminates the Need to Wait for the Bill: An in-restaurant mobile payment system, created in conjunction with PayPal, allows customers visiting the 370-unit UK chain the ability to pay for meals, view menus and more.
- Domino's Extends Ordering Capabilities with iPhone, iPod App: Customers gain instant access to the full Domino's menu and coupons; while the Pizza Tracker feature enables them to trace the stages of their orders.
- Starbucks Strengthens Mobile Payment Footprint: In addition to the launch of the Starbucks for Android app, the company will also roll out mobile payment capabilities to 1,000 Safeway locations, extending its mobile payment reach to 9,000 stores.
- Bally Technologies, Micros Partner to Improve Casino Cocktail Service: The Bally BOSS and Micros point-of-sale interface allows casino players to order drinks from the slot machine to increase guest service and reduce labor costs.
- Envysion Releases Next Generation MVaaS Application: Leveraging its Software as a Service model, Envysion has immediately deployed the enhanced application, including an even more intuitive interface and several new features.
- Agilysys Introduces InfoGenesis Roam Mobile Software: Already in use at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, the InfoGenesis POS mobile add-on allows employees to move throughout a property to offer food and beverage service.