Chipotle Mexican Grill is testing Chipotle Carside at 29 restaurants in California. For the first time, fans can get Chipotle's real food delivered right to their parked cars using the Chipotle app.
The fast-casual brand's test comes as restaurants nationwide face the realities of doing business during the COVID-19 pandemic, they’re increasingly leaning in to off-prem.
How it Works
When ordering from participating restaurants, guests can select "Carside Pickup" in the checkout section of the Chipotle app.
After the order is confirmed, the following instructions will be displayed:
- Head to the restaurant
- Park in a spot as close as possible to the restaurant
- Open the Chipotle app and tap the "I'm Here" button
- A Chipotle team member will bring your order to the car
Guests will also be able to select their vehicle type and color in the app, including typing in their car's make.
"As our digital business evolves, we are continuing to explore ways to remove friction and increase access to our real food," said Curt Garner, Chief Technology Officer. "Chipotle Carside unlocks a new, highly convenient pick up experience for guests from our restaurants' parking lots."
The Rise of Digital
Since the pandemic began, one out of three new guests have tried Chipotle through digital ordering channels. In Q3 2020, Chipotle's digital sales tripled year over year and accounted for 48.8% of sales for the quarter.
Earlier this month, Chipotle added its concierge chat bot, Pepper, to the Chipotle app to ensure that guests have an exceptional experience. App customers can now select from frequently asked questions or ask their own questions to get a response quickly.
New Access Points
Over the past year, Chipotle has rolled out a series of innovations to support the massive growth of its digital business, (in Q320, digital sales had tripled YoY) including:
- Digital Kitchen
- Messenger Ordering
- Customers can order on Facebook Messenger by visiting facebook.com/chipotle or the Chipotle page on the Facebook app and selecting the "Message Us" option.
- Group Ordering
- For individuals dining with family or close friends, they can utilize Chipotle's Group Ordering feature by simply selecting 'start a group order' on the Chipotle app or Chipotle.com. Group Ordering allows multiple people to participate in the ordering process simultaneously.
- Unlimited Customization
- The Unlimited Customization feature in the Chipotle app allows fans to make any ingredient light, standard or extra, replicating the in-restaurant ordering experience digitally.