As workforce issues continue to plague restaurants, DoorDash introduced Merchant Benefits to give its restaurant partners access to discounted products and services.
Signaling staffing is a primary focus to improve business growth, recruitment and retention is the top challenge for 50% of restaurateurs this year, according to the National Restaurant Association's "State of the Industry Report." To support merchants in overcoming attracting, retaining, and developing employees, the first cohort of businesses within Merchant Benefits focuses squarely on these issues.
"The economic fluctuations that come with running a small- to medium-sized business challenge employers in many ways, including being able to provide affordable benefits to staff," said Christopher Payne, President and Chief Operating Officer at DoorDash. "Given our vast network of merchant partners, we've negotiated these benefits on their behalf who would otherwise face a steep surcharge, eliminating a barrier to growing teams to their full potential."
In the first iteration of the program, DoorDash is partnering with six vendors to address key issues within the industry, including access to healthcare, mental health benefits, and continued career development. Emphasizing the importance of these topics, 38% of surveyed restaurant employees indicated they would take less pay for better health benefits and 24% would take less pay for better training opportunities, according to the report, "The Impact of Benefits on Recruitment and Retention in the Restaurant Industry."
DoorDash partners can take advantage of:
- Plans beginning at $5 per month with Sesame, a cash-pay health care marketplaces in the United States, which connects employees directly to high quality physicians at affordable prices without the headache of dealing with insurance. Offerings include in-person and virtual primary care, mental health services, and specialty care.
Personal and Mental Health Benefits
- Discounted subscriptions to Breathwrk, a personal health app, which provides breathing exercises designed to reduce stress and improve focus for employees inside and out of the workplace. Available globally in English.
- 40% or more off EdApp by SafetyCulture, an all-in-one mobile-first training platform that assists businesses to deliver every step of their training program. Bespoke courses created specifically for the hospitality and retail industry, business owners can upskill their staff in a matter of days not weeks. Available in the US, Canada and Australia.
- 15% off StateFoodSafety, an online food safety education company, which offers ANSI-approved, state-mandated hospitality training certifications including Food Handler, Food Manager, Allergen Awareness, and Alcohol Server. Available in the US.
Hiring and Staff Management
- One month free of LANDED, an end-to-end recruiting platform helping employers hire hourly candidates quickly, saving time and money by automating candidate engagement, screening and interview scheduling. Available in the US.
- Four months free of 7shifts, the complete team management platform for restaurants. 7shifts provides tools that help restaurateurs make more profitable decisions, improve team retention, and get operations in order. Available in the US and Canada.
DoorDash will not administer the benefits, rather working with reputable partners who will administer the benefits directly to interested merchant partners. As the needs of businesses evolve, DoorDash will continue to partner with additional companies as part of Merchant Benefits.
Eligible merchants in the United States, Canada, and Australia looking to partner with DoorDash and grow their business to its full potential with Merchant Benefits can learn more here.